Tailings Dam Embankment Construction
Due to the environmental requirements related to the disposal of tailings, tailings dams are required to be lined with geomembranes. Tailings dam footprints organically increase over the life of mine and so do the associated environmental risks and impacts. The construction and preparation of tailings dams is both costly and time consuming.
SoilTain® dewatering technology in conjunction with our reinforcement solutions, helps to reduce the required footprint areas of tailings dams which leads to lower required capital investment. Embankment and dyke construction with SoilTain dewatering tubes allow the incremental raising of tailings dams with a positive contribution to the environmental and economic sustainability of mining operations.
- Tailings dam footprint reduction
- Stable embankment construction on geomembrane lined facilities
- Embankments can be incrementally raised to keep up with the safe rate of rise
- Utilisation of tailings/waste fill for embankment construction
- Improves tailings mechanical characteristics through encapsulation and confinement
- Reduced carbon footprint
Tailings Dam Capacity Increase
When tailings dams reach their capacity the common solution is to build a new tailings storage facility. This creates new environmental risks, increases capital outlay and new land requirements.
Our sustainable waste storage solutions provide greater utilisation of current waste disposal space through increasing vertical storage capacity of existing tailings dams using SoilTain® tubes, Fortrac® geogrid reinforcement and Tektoseal® Clay barriers.
- Better utilisation of waste material to construct stable embankments
- Efficient use of existing tailings dam footprint
- Reduction of environmental risk
- Reduction of capital and operational expenditure
- Increase of operational sustainability
Tailings Dams Embankment Stabilisation
Conventional dams continue to be constructed to greater heights with greater storage volumes. However, the safety record of conventional dams has been steadily improving over the past 40 years, to the point that the probability of the conventional dam failure in any given year is roughly 1 in 10,000. This safety trend is unfortunately not yet the case for mine tailings dams, which are failing at a rate at least ten times higher than that of conventional dams.
Tailings dams currently have a higher profile within the mining industry compared to any other previous period. HUESKER studies each tailings dam project individually and offers dedicated analysis and embankment stabilisation design and supply capabilities, through the incorporation of superior flexible reinforcement geogrids and geotextiles. HUESKER´s geosynthetic solutions are able to withstand and conform to the harsh environments in which tailings dams are often constructed.
- Dedicated geosynthetic design capabilities
- Flexible reinforcement geogrids and geotextiles, which perform to the desired level even the harshest conditions
- HUESKER collaborates with our clients, providing economical sustainable design solutions
- The combination of responsible design and superior products reduces the risk of failure